The GEM Project
Teaching special needs students in ABET levels 1-4 academic subjects, using a variety of techniques, such as phonetics, multi-sensory learning, or repetition to reinforce learning and meet students' varying needs.
Recruiter from sector Non profit / Government, located in Eastern Cape, From 11 to 50 workers
- Port Elizabeth, Nelson Mandela Bay, Eastern Cape
Care for vulnerable youth in education and community NGO based in Port Elizabeth (aged 7 to 20 years old). Provide support and expertise in satisfying children's physical, emotional, intellectual, and social needs. Duties will include researching therapeutic activities, sporting activities and outings, intellectual stimulation, language and literacy support, life skills workshops and transportation of students. As well as community camps and trails for children of all ages from townships and Northern areas.
Responsibilities and duties:
• Mentor and guide students and research and initiate appropriate activities - life skills, fitness, vocational and literacy workshops, therapy, health and wellbeing.
• Assist with all holiday programmes, weekend activities, events and workshops for the project. This includes all students, residents and community youth. Ages from 7yrs to 18yrs.
• Keep all student information and files /reports up to date working with the social worker, counsellor, teachers and house parents.
• Conduct counselling with students on a regular basis - especially younger residents.
• Submit reports to immediate superior highlighting successes, challenges and recommendations for the way forward.
• Facilitate fitness and sports activities for all students and residents as well as life skils workshops
• Understand the importance of community work for our students and be able to assist with the coordination and execution of community projects with students and other staff members
• Assist with the Gem student residences and provide support and guidance to residents and also house parents if / when needed.
• Provide residential cover for the house parents at the residences when they take annual leave and some weekends.
• Drive students where needed and assist with project's driving needs
• Driving to and working in townships and Northern areas
• Assist the project and staff where needed in your area of expertise.
• Understand the fluidity of the organisation, its growth and dealing with youth requires a flexible, positive and "can do" resilient approach and attitude.
• Registered and experienced Social Auxiliary Worker, Youth Care Worker or relevant qualification
• Must be male with minimum 5 years working experience in NGO entity
• Flexible, adaptable and ability to work on own and in a team.
• Very organised
• Excellent administrative skills
• Experience in counselling vulnerable youth
• Experience in facilitation and planning of youth activities and youth camps
• Skills development or facilitation background advantageous
• Valid driver’s license - ESSENTIAL - do not apply if you do not have a drivers license
• Know Port Elizabeth well especially the townships and Northern areas
• Be comfortable driving to and working in the townships and Northern areas
• Residential NGO youth experience essential
• Fluent English essential, Afrikaans and Xhosa desirable
• Will be living on-site, do shift-work and work every other weekend
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Minumun level of education: Diploma /Bachelor's/ N6
- Years of experience: 3
- Language(s): Xhosa ,English ,Afrikaans
- Driver's license: B
- Availability for travel: No
- Availability for change of residence: No
About this job ad 1 November
Type of contract
Type of contract
Type of contract