- Midrand, City of Johannesburg, Gauteng
Radio Access Network Integration Engineer
Office Location: Woodmead
Position Summary and Primary Objectives
• To carry out the integration and testing of Radio Access Network (RAN) elements.
• To ensure a new Radio Access Network (RAN) is ready for traffic.
• To perform hardware and software upgrade of Radio Access Network (RAN)
• To implement new features of Radio Access Network (RAN) in live nodes.
Main Duties / Key Accountabilities
• Prepare network rollout/integration plans.
• Prepare/perform pre-integration site check according to installed hardware and system requirements to ensure that all equipment is ready for integration.
• Prepare/perform network integration test for new and expanded RAN elements.
• Prepare/perform changing, upgrading, or replacement of hardware and/or software of RAN elements.
• Prepare/perform implementation and activation of new features.
• Prepare/perform RAN system demonstration and/or acceptance as required.
• Prepare/perform interoperability test/verification of RAN elements.
• Perform troubleshooting and ensure that problems and/or outstanding issues are properly handled.
• Initiate actions to prevent any occurrences of nonconformity related to the products, processes and qualities.
• Ensure RAN equipment is fully tested, including required functions and/or features.
• Ensure RAN nodes are ready for traffic.
• Ensure and control progress of assigned project according to project plan, including escalation in case of delay.
• Support during contract/commercial negotiations, in the technical scoping of the Integration service delivery.
• Gather all the required and valid tools, methods and processes, following recommendations/guidelines for delivery process where possible.
• Be a point of technical coordination escalation for on-site problems and issues. Give technical support to ASPs when needed.
• Prepare and perform a technical hand-over to the support organization or customers.
• Produce documentation such as list of test cases, test instruction, Method of Procedure (MOP), test progress and report.
• Support/Coach lower level engineers.
• Support the rest of the team and contractors in transferring technical knowledge and skills.
• Documenting test results and log files for presentation to the team as part of a handover/delivery package.
• Prepare for System demo and Acceptance as required.
• Make a final report and prepare the hand over to the support organization or to appropriate customer organization.
Requirements: Education, Training and Experience
• Education: A university degree or Master’s degree in Telecommunication engineering or related fields such as Computer engineering/Electronics engineering.
• Certifications: IP Certification would be an added advantage.
• Knowledge of IP and ATM
• Knowledge of IP Edge Routers and Home Agents
• Training: Be familiar with tools used for Engineering of different products in a Radio Access Network environment.
The RAN Engineer must have knowledge and experience with Radio Access Network products:
• LTE RAN (Long –Term Evolution Radio Access Network)
• WCDMA RAN (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access Radio Access Network)
• RNC (Radio Network Controller)
• RBS (Radio Base Station)/Node B
• HSPA (High Speed Packet Access)
• GSM BSS (GSM Base Station Subsystem)
• BSC (Base Station Controller)
• RBS (Radio Base Station)
• EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution)
Experience: 2-3 Years
• IP Technologies
• Network Architectures
• Radio Access Technologies (GSM, CDMA, LTE)
• Transmission Technologies
• Technical Troubleshooting
• Integration Process
Personal Attributes and Skills Required
• Fluent written and spoken English.
• Ability to work in a team as well as independently.
• Planning and organization skills
• Driver’s license
• Ability to travel when requested
• Pro-active and accountable
• Attention to detail
• Cultural awareness
• Leadership and people skills
• Quality and performance driven
• Must be able to think on his/her feet
• Ability to plan own work to meet assigned schedules and targets
• Ability to develop oneself and become cross-functional
Other mandatory requirements
• Perform responsibilities outside of normal working hours and travel to other destinations and countries when necessary.
- Minumun level of education: Doctorate /Master's /N8
- Years of experience: 3
- Language(s): English
- Availability for travel: Yes
- Availability for change of residence: Yes
About this job ad 13 December
Type of contract
Type of contract
Type of contract